10 Facts About Dolphin Cay
Posted by: Nassau Paradise Island on May 31, 2017
For an experience of a lifetime, visitors of Nassau Paradise Island can’t get enough of Dolphin Cay—a world-class marine habitat that gives guests an up-close-and-personal look at some of the most majestic marine life in the sea.
Thinking about a visit to Dolphin Cay? Here are 10 facts you must know!
1. Dolphin Cay is part of the iconic Atlantis, Paradise Island and welcomes guests of the resort and day pass holders.
2. At 14-acres, Dolphin Cay is one of the largest open-air, man-made marine habitats in the world. It’s home to dolphins, sea lions, and other marine life.
3. Dolphin Cay is the first marine mammal rescue and rehabilitation facility in The Bahamas. It is dedicated to restoring the heath of injured marine animals and releasing them back to the wild.
4. Dolphin Cay opened in 2007 to provide a safe haven for 16 stranded dolphins whose home was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina and has been committed to the care, conservation, and advocacy of dolphins ever since.
5. The state-of-the-art facility includes an 11-acre lagoon, education center, animal rescue-rehabilitation hospital and animal pharmacy, as well as a separate sea lion center.
6. Dolphins feel right at home in the lagoon which was built to stimulate their natural habitat, complete with coves, sandy beaches, and seven interconnected “residential” pools.
7. Dolphin Cay holds more than 6 million gallons of seawater. That’s approximately 250,000 gallons of water per dolphin—more than ten times the amount required by U.S. regulations.
8. The water is warm! Continuously flowing through the habitat, the water is finely filtered and maintained at a comfortable 75 degrees Fahrenheit/24 degrees Celsius.
Discover all of Dolphin Cay’s one-of-a-kind experiences here.
9. On top of caring for and studying dolphins and sea lions, Dolphin Cay offers amazing experiences for guests. This includes swimming, snorkeling, kayaking, and paddle boarding with dolphins, playing with sea lions, and the opportunity to become a trainer for the day.
10. Every visit to Dolphin Cay supports the Atlantis Blue Project Foundation which creates and promotes solutions for a wide range of marine conservation challenges.
Ready to discover Dolphin Cay for yourself? Check out our travel deals, hop on a flight, and dive in for an experience you’ll never forget.