Frequently asked questions
- Is a passport required to go to the Bahamas?
- Where do I get a passport?
- How long does it take to get a passport?
- How much does a passport cost?
- I need a birth certificate to get my passport. Where do I go to get one?
- What if I wasn’t born in the U.S. but one of my parents is a U.S. citizen?
- What should I do if my passport has been lost or stolen?
- How do I check the status of my passport after I apply?
- My child is under 14, who signs my child’s new passport?
1. IS A PASSPORT REQUIRED TO GO TO THE BAHAMAS?
Yes. If you are departing or returning to the U.S. by air from any international destination a passport is required by all travelers regardless of age.
2. WHERE DO I GET A PASSPORT?
3. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET A PASSPORT?
Passports can be obtained in about 6-8 weeks. Expedited passport can be obtained in about three weeks for an additional fee. If you have special circumstances, a passport can be obtained in as quickly as 24 hours; however, authorization is required and extra fees apply.
4. HOW MUCH DOES A PASSPORT COST?
The cost to secure a new adult (persons 16 & older) passport is $135. The cost to secure a new passport for children under 16, is $105. For renewing a passport the cost is $110. For faster service there are additional charges of $60 or more depending on how quickly you need it.
5. I NEED A BIRTH CERTIFICATE TO GET MY PASSPORT. WHERE DO I GO TO GET ONE?
You can obtain a birth certificate from the vital statistics office of the state in which you were born, click here.
6. WHAT IF I WASN’T BORN IN THE U.S. BUT ONE OF MY PARENTS IS A U.S. CITIZEN?
If one or both of your parents was a U.S. citizen when you were born abroad, your parent(s) should have registered your birth at a U.S. embassy or consulate and received a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form FS-240. This form is acceptable legal proof of birth and U.S. citizenship. If your birth was not registered, call 888-202-1666. If you don’t have a Consular Report of Birth Abroad click here to find information on how to obtain one.
7. WHAT SHOULD I DO IF MY PASSPORT HAS BEEN LOST OR STOLEN?
You should immediately report it stolen to the local law enforcement authorities and then contact the U.S. Dept of State Lost or Stolen Passport Unit website or call them at 202-955-0430.
8. HOW DO I CHECK THE STATUS OF MY PASSPORT AFTER I APPLY?
If you are a U.S. citizen, you can check the status of your passport application 5 – 7 days after applying, click here.
9. MY CHILD IS UNDER 14. WHO SIGNS MY CHILD’S NEW PASSPORT?
In the space provided for the signature, the mother or father must print the child’s name and sign their own name. Then, in parenthesis by the parent’s signature, write the word (mother) or (father).
Call National Passport Processing Services toll free at 1-877-487-2778 or visit www.travel.state.gov