How to renew your passport
You can renew your passport, if you…
- Already have a passport that is not damaged and can be submitted with your application; and
- Was issued within the past 15 years; and
- Was issued when you were at least age 16 years or older – (A child’s passport cannot be renewed); and
- Has the same name that appears on your current passport or you can legally document your name change.
If any of the statements above do not apply to you, then you must apply in person.
Follow these 4 steps
1. COMPLETE APPLICATION FOR PASSPORT BY MAIL , FORM DS-82
Click here to download the DS-82 Application form.
Be sure to sign and date your application.
2. ATTACH THE FOLLOWING TO THE DS-82:
- Your most recent passport – if it is not damaged. Your old passport will be returned to you
- Two identical passport photographs
- A check, money order or bank draft payable to U.S. Department of State for $110
3. IF YOUR NAME HAS BEEN LEGALLY CHANGED…
and is different from the name in your most recent passport, apply in your new name, and enclose a certified copy of the legal document specifying your name change (for example, a marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption decree, or court order. Photocopies are unacceptable).
4. MAIL YOUR RENEWAL DOCUMENTS IN A TRACEABLE, PADDED ENVELOPE TO THE ADDRESS ON THE DS-82 FORM.
You will receive your new passport in the mail in about 4 – 6 weeks together with your old passport (unless it was damaged) and any original documents you supplied. When you receive your passport, sign it in the space provided for your signature. Remember, you are only required to renew your U.S. Passport once every 10 years.
EXPEDITED PASSPORT SERVICE
If you pay an additional $60 fee to U.S. Department of State, plus overnight delivery costs, you can receive your expedited passport, ordinarily, in about 2 – 3 weeks. We strongly suggest you use a traceable delivery method like USPS Priority Mail.
Provide 2 prepaid envelopes:
- One envelope addressed to the U.S. Passport Agency, mark “EXPEDITE” on the outside of the envelope
- The other envelope inside the first addressed to the place you wish to have your new passport returned to you
Call National Passport Services toll free at 1-877-487-2778 or visit www.travel.state.gov