Say “I Do” in Paradise: Destination Wedding Countdown
Posted by: Nassau Paradise Island on July 1, 2015
Destination weddings are becoming more and more popular. In fact, in 2014, 24 percent of US couples said “I do” with a destination wedding, according to The Knot. Many couples choose destination weddings because they’re easier to plan, with venues offering pre-designed wedding packages to suit every budget. And when your wedding takes place in Paradise, it couldn’t be easier to go straight into honeymoon mode after the wedding!
If you’re thinking about your own destination wedding, Nassau Paradise Island is the perfect location. With miles of pristine white sand beaches, gorgeous ocean backdrops, sunny skies, and stunning venues that accommodate groups both large and small, The Bahamas is a wonderful place to exchange vows. Plus, with non-stop flights from many major US cities, it’s easy for you and your guests to get here.
We’ve put together a destination wedding countdown to help you prepare for your big day. Here are some key destination wedding planning steps to keep in mind.
12 Months Before Your Wedding
– Create a wedding budget and choose a date.
– Choose a location and start researching wedding venues, such as resorts or hotels. See what wedding packages and facilities are offered at each venue.
– Research airfare and room rates.
– Once you’ve chosen a venue, contact the on-site wedding coordinator to start making arrangements. Check out our wedding planning guide for some examples of questions to ask of your coordinator.
– Review the legal requirements to get married in the country of your choice.
9 Months Before Your Wedding
– Visit the resort to meet with the wedding coordinator, see the venue in person, and view guestrooms. Ask about a group discount on a block of rooms.
– Shop for wedding attire.
– Create a guest list.
6 Months Before Your Wedding
– Reserve a block of rooms at the resort.
– Book travel.
– Purchase travel and wedding insurance.
– Send out save-the-dates to ensure your guests have lots of time to plan for travel. Include hotel information so they can easily book their accommodations.
– Work with your wedding coordinator to finalize your cake, flowers, menu, and décor.
– Book your wedding officiant.
– Order your wedding party attire, such as bridesmaid dresses and tuxedo rentals for groomsmen.
– Make sure your passport is valid – if not, apply for a new passport.
3 Months Before Your Wedding
– Send out invitations to guests.
– Create an itinerary of events to include on your wedding day program.
2 Months Before Your Wedding
– Create a seating chart.
– Set up a salon appointment to discuss wedding day hairstyles and makeup.
1 Month Before Your Wedding
– Discuss final details with your wedding coordinator and any additional vendors.
– Finalize your vows, music selections, and itinerary of events.
– Release any extra rooms from your room block.
Two Weeks Before Your Wedding
– Ship any wedding favors or printed items, such as programs, to the resort.
– Make sure you have any documentation require for your marriage license, as well as any insurance-related documentation
One Week Before Your Wedding
– Create a photo shot list for your photographer.
– Share your contact details with your wedding party so they can always get in touch with you.
– Do a final check-in with your wedding coordinator.
3-4 Days Before Your Wedding
– Travel to your wedding destination.
– Pick up your marriage license (in The Bahamas, you’ll need to be in the country at least 24 hours before applying for your license).
On Your Wedding Day
– Relax and enjoy every minute!
For more information about planning a destination wedding in The Bahamas, check out our frequently asked questions.