Content provided by Atlantis, Paradise Island
In tandem with World Ocean’s Day (June 8), the annual, global celebration in honor of one of the most precious natural resources, Atlantis, Paradise Island has debuted three new guest programs that support its marine education mission and the day-to-day conservation work the resort does for both the country and community, ranging from coral reef out planting trips to help re-build damaged reefs to dedicated sea turtle releases and animal rescues and rehabilitations (including “Manny the Manatee” that was recently released back into the wild following a three-month rehabilitation journey on-property!).
Home to the world’s largest marine habitat (50,000 marine animals from over 250 species!) and dedicated research and education centers, Atlantis feels connected to World Oceans Day and its various celebrations on a daily basis. No matter the day, the resort is able to connect guests and day visitors with a staff of over 165 Aquarists, Sea Keepers, Veterinarians, Marine Mammal Behaviorists, Water Quality Specialists and Lab Technicians. A portion of the cost of all marine programs that guests participate in on-property support the Atlantis Blue Project Foundation (ABPF), the resort’s nonprofit, 501(c)3 organization dedicated to saving sea species and their extraordinary habitats throughout The Bahamas and surrounding Caribbean seas.
If your family is looking for the perfect summertime escape, representative of marine life, giving back and impactful educational experiences, be sure to read on about the NEWEST programs and interactions that will let each of you discover the inner Marine Biologist for your next “EDU-cation.”
Marine Adventure Summer Camp
Atlantis has “Marine Adventure Summer Camp” for young ocean dreamers (ages 10-14), who wish to transform into “Junior Aquarists,” “Sea Keepers” & “Marine Mammal Specialists” and spend time alongside the resort’s dedicated Marine Team (who care for over 250 marine species). Each camp session will run for five days and will be led by an Atlantis marine life expert.
- Session Themes (Five Day Program): Monday: All About Water; Tuesday: Sharks, Rays & Bony Fishes; Wednesday: Fish Form & Function; Thursday: Marine Mammals; Friday: Coral Reefs & Invertebrates
- Sample Itinerary Experiences: A visit to Atlantis’ Coral Reef Nursery & Fish Hospital; Group boat trip and afternoon of snorkeling amongst live coral reefs; Walk with sharks in the Mayan Temple Shark Lagoon; Behind-the-scenes educational session with Dolphin Cay’s Behaviorists & Veterinarians; Behind-the-scenes marine habitat tour and fish necropsy session with the Sea Keeper team; Food preparation session in the resort’s dedicated “Fish Kitchen” (where over 1,000 pounds of restaurant-quality seafood is served to the resort’s aquatic animals each day) and dedicated feeding sessions featuring the resort’s sharks and rays
- Package Inclusions: Five-day itinerary starting from early morning to late afternoon (including lunch daily), dedicated Atlantis Marine Life Team Leader per eight campers, marine-themed amenity package, camp name badge, personal mask and snorkel, and Atlantis water bottle
- Session Dates: June 25 – 29, July 9 -13, July 30 – August 3, August 13 – 17
- Cost (Five Day Program): $1,200 per participant* (vat inclusive); note: camp MUST be booked for all five days
Snorkel the Ruins at Twilight
The resort has launched its first-ever twilight version of the resort’s “Snorkel the Ruins program,” a 45-minute snorkeling adventure amid the “sunken ruins and artifacts” of the lost city of Atlantis. The new program will take place daily at 7:45 PM and will give guests a rare opportunity to spend their evening with Atlantis Aquarists and take an underwater guided tour of the Ruins Lagoon featuring marine animals ranging from sleek sharks and spotted rays to deep-reef and pelagic fish. Cost of “Snorkel the Ruins at Twilight” starts at $136.00 per person*; maximum capacity per timeslot is eight participants.
Playtime with Sea Lions at Dolphin Cay
One of the few places in the world where guests can learn about Sea Lions first hand, the “Playtime with Sea Lions” experience at Atlantis is an opportunity to discover behavioral and communicative patterns of these one-of-a-kind marine mammals. Guests can play, swim and engage with the Sea Lions in their habitats during an in-water component, with Dolphin Cay’s marine mammal behaviorists. Following the interaction, guests are invited for a special behind-the-scenes tour and overview of the daily care of the Sea Lions. Dolphin Cay is the resort’s 14-acre marine mammal habitat, state-of-the-art education center and animal-rescue rehabilitation center that is home to the dolphins and sea lions rescued in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
Cost of “Playtime with Sea Lions” program starts at $210.00 per person*.
For more information on how to book and simultaneously get involved with the Atlantis Blue Project Foundation and the resort’s marine programming, call 1-800-ATLANTIS or visit atlantisbahamas.com.