Skip to main content

Destination Wedding FAQ

Can I get married the same day I arrive in Nassau Paradise Island? What is the fee for a Bahamian marriage license…and how do I apply for a license in The Bahamas? Those are just a few of the things we’re asked on a regular basis, since so many couples want to get married in paradise! So here’s a list of our most frequently asked questions—and if your question is not answered below, please contact us and we’ll be happy to assist you.

In order to get married in Nassau Paradise Island, a Bahamian marriage license is required.

No, in order for you to marry in Nassau Paradise Island, both parties must reside in The Bahamas 24 hours prior to the date of the marriage application. If you arrive via cruise ship you’ll be required to obtain a letter from the ship’s purser confirming that you have met the residency period by being in the Bahamian waters for 24 hours.

In Nassau Paradise Island, marriage licenses are issued at the office of the Registrar General, located at #50 Shirley Street, Shirley House. Telephone (242) 323-0594/5/6; fax (242) 323-7908. This office is open to the public from Monday to Friday between the hours of 9:30am and 4pm. The office is closed on weekends and during U.S. and Bahamian Public Holidays*. For applications follow the links for marriage certificates.

No, you cannot. Both parties must be present in The Bahamas at the time of application for a marriage license.

Many countries now require that official documents, such as international marriage certificates, be certified by the issuing country. In The Bahamas, this means that an Apostille (a special seal) is applied by the relevant authority to certify that a document is a true copy of an original. The Apostille can be made available to you within 5-7 days of the request. Your Wedding Planner or Marriage Officer will assist you in this regard.

No, only the Bahamian marriage license is legal in The Bahamas.

Yes, but you must have written parental consent. Consent forms can be obtained from the Registrar General’s office.

If either party is single and has never been married before, a declaration certifying this fact must be sworn before a notary public or other person authorized to administer oaths in the country of residence. This document must accompany the application for the marriage licence. This declaration can also be obtained in The Commonwealth of The Bahamas from an attorney-at-law or notary public.

Yes, but you must present an original final divorce decree or a certified copy with a raised or color seal.

Yes, but you must produce a death certificate for the deceased spouse.

The fee for a marriage license is $120 (includes one certified copy of marriage certificate).
I want to plan a wedding in The Bahamas, but I don't know where to start. Who can assist me?
The Weddings and Honeymoon Unit of the Ministry of Tourism offers services to assist you in organizing your ceremony. Or, by acting as a facilitator between you and on-island wedding consultants, the unit can help you plan any type of wedding. For further information, contact:


The Weddings and Honeymoon Unit of Ministry of Tourism
Telephone: (800) 422-4262
Office Hours: Monday to Friday, 9:30am – 4pm
Email: [email protected]


The Bahamas Wedding Desk
Telephone: (800) 667-3777 ext. 225
Office Hours: Monday to Friday, 9:00am – 5pm
Email: [email protected]

You can also contact the Office of the Registrar General at (242) 323-0594/5/6 with any questions you might have in regards to obtaining a marriage license, parental consent, sworn declarations, etc.