In the mid-twentieth century, Caribbean flamingos were experiencing a steady decline. A population once over 10,000 strong had decreased to little over 3,000 and there was serious concern that these beautiful birds were in danger. The Bahamian government at the time implemented strict laws to protect the animals and Ardastra Gardens took in a flock of flamingos to see if they could be bred in captivity.
Despite the breeding program having little success, the number of Caribbean flamingos began to increase, and today the breed is not considered at risk.
A trip to Ardastra Gardens, Zoo & Conservation Centre is a must for nature lovers, animal fans, and families looking for a hands-on educational experience. There are four acres of lush tropical gardens to explore, and over 135 animals to see. Visit the petting zoo, feed a parrot from your hand, and of course, don’t miss the marching flamingos!
The flamingos of Ardastra Gardens, Zoo & Conservation Centre put on a show three times a day: 10:30 a.m., 2:15 p.m., and 4:00 p.m. Watch as a trainer guides them around their corral in perfect synchronization. You may even be selected to step inside and join in the fun.
Fun Flamingo Facts:
- There are six different species of flamingo. The Caribbean flamingo (also called the American flamingo) is the only one found in the Bahamas.
- When their necks are stretched out, Caribbean flamingos can be up to 4.6 feet tall.
- They have a wingspan of up to five feet.
- Flamingos have a life expectancy of 40 years. Longer, if they are in captivity.
- Caribbean flamingos have the brightest plumage of all flamingo species.
- In the wild, flamingo colonies can be upwards of 10,000 strong.
- The synchronized marching you see at Ardastra Gardens is a natural talent—synchronized dancing is part of flamingos’ courtship ritual.
- Their vibrant pink color is caused by the high levels of beta-carotene in their diet.
The Caribbean flamingo is the national bird of The Bahamas, making the flamingo parade at Ardastra Gardens, Zoo & Conservation Centre a truly stunning sight and a uniquely Bahamian experience.
Check out our travel deals and start planning your next Bahamas vacation. If you’re looking for travel inspiration, take our quiz to find out your ideal Nassau Paradise Island vacation.
Think you can match the perfect pink of the Caribbean flamingo? Download our coloring page!
Flamingos Coloring Page-Download